Saturday, June 19, 2010

Crazy week...with a cherry on top!

Lets just say this was a crazy week. We were short staffed because a co-worker was on vacation...which is not that big of a deal. But on Monday, a therapist that was scheduled to work Thursday came in with a sling....she wrecked her bike. A german shepard ran in front of her while she was riding by herself (she is an avid triathlete). This meant we would be short 2 therapists on Thursday so 3 people would carry 5 therapists case loads. We worked hard and had long days, but it worked out. goes to meet and help a new patient get dressed. (New patients usually come from the hospital in a gown, but are "medically stable") and her intestines are hanging out of her abdomen. Hmm...which nurse missed that??? Thursday was LOOOONG - I saw my caseload + more than half of someone elses caseload...which really isn't the difficult part. The difficult part is the paperwork. YUCK!!! Then Friday, the 4th therapist (which means we are still short a therapist) was late because she busted her eye open on the car door. Scramble and reschedule...and work late for the 5th day in a row. Then at 2:30 there was an explosion....and I mean explosion a patients ileostomy bag busted all over him and the floor. Poor guy it was everywhere...even in his shoes. We found out at 4:00 (430 is the end of the therapy day in the hospital) there will be a 2nd new patient...meaning I will definitely be work a 6th day.

Saturday AM - go for my long run with fleet feet. Shower, eat, then go to work. When I arrive I found out that the 1st new patient they brought on Friday discharge back to the hospital - ICU!!! Medically Stable for therapy??? I think not!. I meet the other new patient...who has suffered a brain injury - traumatic, but relatively grandparents age. I finished my first session with him and went to get my next 2 patients out of bed. One was angry that I was making him work on a Saturday, but got of bed and came to the gym. As I was helping him get back into his chair from the therapy table, I noticed he had a BM all over the mat. Just wait this is not quite the cherry on top of my wonderful week....After I cleaned up the mat (the nurse aid cleaned the patient). I went back to meet the new patient and finish his evaluation. I had one thing left to examine, but he told me that he couldn't do anymore because he needed to go to the bathroom. I took him to his room and helped him to the toilet. I instructed him to pull the call light when he was finished. I went to the nurses station and gave his nurse a heads up that he wanted tylenol for his headache. She came to his room to administer the meds approx 5 min later ( I have been waiting outside his door) I told her she may want to just catch him at lunch as it was now nearly noon. I knocked on the door and asked him if he was okay. He said yes. I began to hear the sound of plastic rustling around. I was puzzled because the only things in the bathroom are toilet paper, toilet, sink, and shower. Hmm....

Then it hit me...his "buddy" came by and gave him a of those that always come in plastic. Yep! you got it! Cherry on top! What a week. I notified the RN and nurse aide of the situation and decided that the one thing I had left to examine was going to be documented as "not tested". Who knows how long he was going to be in there?

Hope your week was just as fun!


  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

  2. HAHAHA!!!! That is awesome!!!! What a long week!! Hope you get some rest!